Armenian Fairy Tale
In the western settlement of Lori-Berd near Stepanavan, Armenia, surrounded by wonderful mountain landscapes you will find the ruins of one of the 11th Century feudal Armenia’s capitals – Lori-Berd. David Anhoghin of Kyurikid’s branch of Ani’s Bagratid dynasty- founded Lori-Berd as an inaccessible fortress town in the Gugark region of northern Armenia in 989-1048, and moved the Tashir-Dzoragetian kingdom capital here from Samshvilde.
Our journey then takes us to Stepanavan Dendropark, this tranquil 35-hectare arboretum 11km south of Stepanavan was established in the 1930s and has a vast array of conifers and deciduous trees. Stepanavan dendropark is the first botanic garden of Armenia. The collection of plants represents a great scientific development of species in uncommon climatic conditions. For 30 years continuously the scientists had tested 2500 species of plants try to find out those that would survive here. But only 500 species and forms of trees could succeed in growing in the cold climate that belong to 27 families and 115 species.
We end our day at Hnevank Monastery, a 7th-12th century Armenian Apostolic Church monastery, located near the village of Kurtan in the Lori Province of Armenia. The monastery is situated on a hill within a gorge, near where the Dzoraget and Gargar rivers join. The exact date of the construction is unknown. They say that the church was reconstructed in 12th century. But judging by the church’s architecture it is supposed that the church was built in 7th century. The monastery was entirely rebuilt by lord Smbat of the House of Orbelian, a branch of the Liparitids who were expelled to Armenia in the late 12th century from Georgia. Smbat was the ancestor of the Armenian princes of Syunik. A Georgian inscription around the drum attests his name.
- We depart from Yerevan to Lori Berd fortress which is an 11th century Armenian fortress located in Lori Province, Armenia. From here you can admire the breathtaking view of Debed river canyon.
- Later we will visit Stepanavan Dendropark which is singled out with its unique flora and fauna. Here you will feel as if you are in a fairy tale.
- Then you will visit Hnevank monastery which is a 7th-12th century Armenian Apostolic Church monastery, located near the village of Kurtan in the Lori Province of Armenia. The monastery is situated on a hill within a gorge.
Your hotel in Yerevan
Tour and transfers in a private car
English speaking guide
Map of Armenia
All entrance fees
Guide and driver gratuity
Meals and drinks
- Duration is 8 hours – 10 hours
- Please wear comfortable walking shoes
- Please carry sunscreen, sunglasses if you take this tour in summer
- Please wear warm clothes if you take this tour in spring or autumn
- Don’t forget to carry a camera
- Please do carry a digital copy of your confirmation voucher