Start your journey with a visit to a 7th Century fortress named Amberd, which used to be a stone age settlement and was over the centuries fortified and completely rebuilt as a fortress. The fortress is also one of the best examples of Armenian fortifications and construction. As you walk around it don’t forget to visit the bath house and see the secret aqueducts for the fortress residents.
After an insight into Armenia’s ancient architecture, we move to a picturesque village located on the slopes of the magnificent Mt Aragats. This village is home to many historical sites including the 7th Century Artavazik Church and the 10th-century basilica of Saint Hovhannes. Here, we will visit the famous Byurakan Astrophysical Observatory,founded in 1946 by Viktor Hambardzumyan, it was one of the main astronomy centers of the USSR. The observatory has discovered special star clusters – stellar associations (1947),more than 1,000 flare stars, dozens of Supernovae, hundreds of Herbig-Haro objects and cometary nebulae, hundreds of galaxies.
We end the day with a visit to Saghmosavank and Hovhannavank monasteries. Saghmosavank (Monastery of Palms) is built on the edge of the Kasagh Gorge and comprises two main buildings: the Church of Zion and the smaller Church of Karapet; both dating from the 13th century. The monastery’s gavit and library date to the same period.
Hovhannavank on the other hand is perched on the edge of the Kasagh Gorge, this monastery, just outside the village of Ohanavan was once an important educational and theological center where manuscripts were written and illuminated.
- We head from Yerevan to Amberd fortress which is a 7th-century fortress located 2,300 meters above sea level, on the slopes of Mount Aragats which is the highest mountain in the territory of Armenia. From here you can admire the breathtaking view of Aragats Mountain.
- Later we will visit Byurakan observatory which is situated in Byurakan village. Here you will have visit the observatory and get acquainted with the history of Armenian astronomy. You will also visit the museum of the world famous Armenian scientist – Viktor Hambardzumyan.
- The next stop will be the Saghmosavank and Hovhannavank monasteries which are situated at the edge of the Kasakh river canyon. This scenery will stick in your memory forever.
Hotel in Yerevan
Tour and transfers in a private car
English speaking guide
Map of Armenia
All entrance fees
Guide and driver gratuity
Meals and drinks
- Duration is 7 hours – 8 hours
- Please wear comfortable walking shoes
- Please carry sunscreen, sunglasses if you take this tour in summer
- Please wear warm clothes if you take this tour in spring or autumn
- Don’t forget to carry a camera
- Please do carry a digital copy of your confirmation voucher